Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The story of Femi and Toyin:The note that Toyin had given to Bayo, Mr. Ajayi’s house boy had been on the spur of the moment. She had been on the rebound from her love affair with Femi who had just earlier that day annoyed her by saying that it was all over between them and that he was returning to his wife and children. Toyin had retorted that he had actually never really “ left” his wife and children as they still physically lived with him, although he adamantly denied having any relationship with his wife. He had insisted in the most cruel and unfeeling manner that he was tired of of the subterfuge, and that in anycase the whole of Lagos knew of their affair. He had then diverted into the promise that he had made to his mother on her deathbed where he had promised her that he would only have one wife at a time. Toyin had been livid.
“ I am the one who has lost a husband and a matrimonial home and I live in this flat so I can meet with you and be free, and you are now telling me that I have given up everything for nothing, and that you are returning to her?” She had said.
“I never said I was leaving her; not formally speaking.” Had been his evasive reply. “ You cant expect me to renege on the word that I promised my dying mother, that I would under no circumstances be polygamous. She suffered so intently at the hands of my father and his many different wives. Sometimes I think it was this heart ache which caused her to die so young. The irony of it is that they all live on to ripe old age. You must understand Toyin, I might not look to you as a man of conscience but I most assuredly am. This present state of affairs will not do, indeed cannot do. I feel like I am living a life as a lie”.
She had been distraught, and between sobs had shouted. “ The worst thing of this is that you actually told me that you loved me. Is this what love means to you Femi? Something you give up at will? That is all I mean to you after all we have been through?”
Femi had gone on and on about how sorry he was, and then he had left. For two whole months she did not see him. He had tried to call her several times but her brother had wisely advised her to not under any circumstances answer his calls, and to most certainly not look for him.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mr. Tokunbo Ajayi moves on with his life: (2)His mother responded
He replied, “ Then we will say that is decided mother. For now I will stay here with you and leave the steward to take care of my flat. I think the change of scene will do me good and relieve me of some of the dreadful memories I have associated with my flat.”
“ A change of scene is often all that is needed to console a broken heart.”
Mr. Ajayi drank a cup of tea, and called his secretary to say that he was ill and hoped to return to work the next day. He turned his cell phone off, and settled down on his mothers sofa to await his mother’s return from the market. He quite agreed with his mother that in circumstances as these it was better to have company. Mrs. Toyin Ajayi sr. was of a practical nature and was unlikely to allow him to wallow in his despair or to keep talking about the failed marriage. Indeed on her return she had promptly forbidden him from any further discussion of the topic. She made the point that this was the time for him to move on with his life.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“ I can imagine myself renting out my house. Although it has been a source of great solace, living alone can be trying on the nerves. I think I will take you up on your offer, I can think of no place I’d rather be than to spend my old age with you my son. I could look at your sweet face every day, that would be happiness for me!”Mrs. Olabisi pays a visit: 
The next day feeling much refreshed Mr. Ajayi had proceeded directly to his office from his mother’s house in Surulere. A hearty breakfast of eggs and sausage with freshly squeezed orange juice further served to lift his spirits. His mother had instructed him that as soon as the thought of either Femi or Toyin entered his mind, that he must reject the thought. Indeed he had firmly resolved in his won mind to try this method to control his moods and to conquer the sadness that had ravaged his existence for already too long.
In the course of the morning while tending to her potted plants in the rear yard Mrs. Toyin Ajayi Sr. had been most pleasantly surprised by the arrival of her dear friend Mrs. Remi Olabisi. Mrs. Remi Olabisi was on this occasion being accompanied by her niece Yetunde . Yetunde was a bright cheerful twenty year old studying estate management at Awolowo University in Ile-Ife. She did not say much in the presence of these domineering women, but when she did she spoke with a soft melodic voice. When she spoke it sounded like she was singing. Her mother was the younger sister of Mrs. Remi Olabisi , and she had often stayed with her aunt on and off during her vacations. She wore a nice blue dress and had a simple red belt around her waist. The belt was matched with a pair of red ballerina shoes. She sat modestly beside her aunt. Mrs. Toyin Ajayi Sr. surveyed the young girl through the corner of her eye. No mention was made to either the niece or her aunt about her youngest son’s woes but instead she determined to inquire cautiously about the circumstances of the young girl in their company. And thus it was ascertained that Yetunde was not only most desirable but available as well.
“ Remi you have a lovely niece here, now tell me is this the same Yetunde who I remember from five years ago only then you were much younger.?”
“ Yes, my dear it is her. You can see from this how she has quite grown up into a lady. In fact she is in her final year of study at the University.”
Mrs. Toyin Ajayi Sr. smiled gently in return. “ I can see you have grown quite beautiful, and tell me what plans do you have for after graduation? Do you have a wedding in the works as most girls your age do?”
“ No”. Mrs. Olabisi answered for her niece, “ Yetunde has been fortunate in her studies but not quite as fortunate in love, a fact that I attribute to her natural shyness. I have told her, if you do not go out, then how can you expect to meet a man to marry? I think there is no substitute to social gatherings for promoting interactions between the sexes. Although it must be supervised, of course, as the last thing one would want would for the parties to lead to licentious behavior. Moreover she has enlightened me about how the University life nowadays could be a mine field of corruption . What with sugar daddies showing up at all hours of the day and night in the female dormitories and with a multitude of secret societies proliferating to the point that the young girls cannot leave their hostels after dark.”
“ I have heard of all these things, although I do not think that the concept of the Sugar Daddy is a new one. It may be more rampant now, based on greed. It does sound very frightening to negotiate your way through all these things.”
“ What with AIDS that the young girls have to contend with; I have insisted to my niece that there is only one safe alternative and that is continence: wait until you are married.”
Yetunde smiled. “ Auntie, you can see that I have been well cautioned. I have made an effort to stay in mostly. Now all the girls in my class are engaged to be married, all except me because I never went out and refused all invitations to parties.”
Mrs. Olabisi did not seem impressed. “ That is what you would have us believe. I am sure you must have attended your own fair share of parties despite my warnings. You realise that over half of all these engagements may never even progress to marriage in which case it is all futile anyway.”
Mrs. Toyin Ajayi Sr. had decided that she believed the young girl, and became intent on getting to know her better for her son’s sake.
“ I had planned a little get together on Sunday afternoon. It is not going to be big, mind you, just a few friends getting together for lunch. Will you come Mrs. Olabisi, and would you Yetunde accompany your aunt?”
“ I would love to come.” Said Yetunde, and Mrs. Olabisi nodded in agreement. “Thank you we would love to come, barring any other engagements my husband might have made.”
A party at Mrs. Toyin Ajayi was always a fun filled affair, with good food, nice drinks, and a select crowd. She would often play music on her stereo and the younger guests were free to dance should they be so inclined.
Mrs. Olabisi could contain her curiosity no longer. “ Now tell me about Toks. How is he doing? Has he reconciled with his wife?” Mrs Olabisi asked fully aware of the circulating rumor that his estranged wife was reputed to be living with her lover in Ikoyi.
Mrs. Toyin Ajayi smiled gently knowing full well that the question was not entirely an innocent one. She answered softly. “ No my dear, there is no talk of a reconciliation. I must tell you if you do not already know, that she she lives with Femi in a flat in Ikoyi. And my understanding is that that is final and there will soon be a divorce. My dearest I must confess to you that it will be a relief to be rid of this encumbrance for both parties involved and more so for Toks.”
Mrs. Olabisi’s eyebrows shot up on her fore head. “ A divorce!” she shrieked, not without excitement. “ Well this happens, yes it happens. Sometimes there is no other way. The good news is that one man’s poison may be another man’s meat.”
And she winked at Yetunde who pretended she had neither seen nor heard any of the foregoing discourse.
After some refreshments had been served, Mrs. Olabisi prevailed on her niece to entertain them on the upright piano. She obediently took her seat and proceeded to play a few tunes that she knew off head. Mrs. Toyin Ajayi Sr. could not help but find herself favorably impressed by this polished and well accomplished young lady and could not help but hope that Toks might find her quite as charming. Although there was a slight disparity in age to be overcome, she was hopeful that Yetunde might find the maturity of Toks to her liking and that Toks might find the young and innocent Yetunde refreshing.
Mrs. Toyin Ajayi Sr. was fully determined to make her Sunday afternoon planned luncheon a success. Although her accommodations’ were modest, and the room was limited, if she utilized the small cemented backyard, and opened the sliding glass door from the living room which looked onto the backyard she could comfortably entertain a fifteen odd persons. In the living room the sofas were pushed up against the walls. The dining chairs were removed from around the dining table and placed to line the walls neatly.
MRS TOYIN AJAYI SR. ISSUES AN INVITATION TO A LUNCHEON:

No comments:

Post a Comment